Tuesday, September 21, 2004

New UMC Bishop Sudarshana Devadhar

Here are the comments of another new Bishop on doctrinal issues in the UMC.

Like other mainline Protestant denominations, United Methodists have grappled with issues surrounding homosexuality. At their general conference last spring, in Pittsburgh, they reaffirmed their doctrine against ordaining "self-avowed, practicing homosexuals," and against same-sex marriage.

Asked if he agreed with those decisions, Devahdar, who as a delegate cast secret ballots, would not say.

"I will not say whether I support the blessings of same-sex unions or the ordaining of gays and lesbians," he said. "My duty is to be loyal and guard the doctrine of the church ... As a United Methodist bishop, I am committed to be faithful to the discipline of the church."

I think when he says something like, "My opinions are irrelevant" he is on the right track. I'm not a bishop, but my opinions are also irrelevant to the issue of UM doctrine. I submit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home