Thursday, November 18, 2004

Are there any adiaphora?

Most people care deeply about at least a few subjects. I wouldn't be suprised if there were a number of things most of those same people didn't care about.

I have recently encountered some who seem to see their conservative politics as a direct entailment of their conservative theology. There seem to be no political issues that they don't see as being closely related to theology.

I have plenty of strong views in both theology and politics. Most people would call my views conservative. But when I read the bible I don't see the level of specifcity on public policy that so many seem to find there. This is the case for several "hot-button" issues, including war, death penalty and "social justice" - care for the poor.

Are we as Christians allowed to have subjects which are adiaphora - indifferent? We bandy the quote: "In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, in all things charity." But are there any non-essentials? Sure seems that way to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home