Thursday, July 28, 2005

Spreading the Democracy of God?

A conversation today got me thinking again (I've been told that is dangerous business). We were discussing fleshing out Matthew 6:33: 33 "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

What exactly are we to seek? what is it that will be added? Those were supposed to be the questions. The question I came to, though, was: "Who do we as good democrats even begin to understand Kingdom?"

I'd like to invite you to consider how we who live in a country that generally understands that democracy and the exportation thereof is the major factor in freedom are to understand Kingdom. Because I seriously doubt that a modern translation of "seek ye first the democratic republic of God...." would be faithful to the original intent or language.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathon said...

I think Jesus envisioned Kingdom to be a city that lived out the radical love of God toward one another.

Practically speaking I think the Kingdom is lived out through Christians who try to love others, love God, and share the wonderful story of Jesus Christ.

But no, I don't see the Kingdom looking anything like our democratic north american society. if anything it runs counter as an alternative "polis".

shalom,
jonathon

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kingdom : the mean by which the power (of God) extends out from the center to distances/ the means by which God's will can enter the earth from heaven "on earth as it is in heaven"

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home